Australian Idol on Next G - What's New?
Australian Idol on Next G
17 August 2007
Reported by Angus Leung
In a world first, Telstra customers will be able to watch Australian Idol live on their Telstra Next G or 3G mobile phones. This is the first time any of the Idol programs around the globe has been screened live on mobile phones.
Launching on Sunday 26 August at 7:25pm, via the BigPond mobile menu, Idol Insider will start five minutes before and end five minutes after each episode of Australian Idol, and when Channel Ten cuts to the ad breaks, the cameras will keep rolling behind the scenes and show this unique content, bloopers included, live.
Hosting the show will be stand up comedian and star of Thank God You're Here, Cal Wilson, who says she's delighted to be a part of this ground-breaking initiative.
Cal said "I'm really excited to be hosting this amazing show. It's a world-first initiative that I am thrilled to be a part of. I think they chose me to do the job because I'm quite short - I can fit into a mobile!"
"Australian Idol is one of my favourite shows and now I can get my fix anytime, I can't wait!" Ms Wilson said.
Telstra's Next G network provides coverage to 98.8 per cent of the Australian population - allowing Idol fans to catch episodes live even if they are nowhere near a television.
As a part of the Idol LIVE TV Pack, fans will also be able to access video on-demand of their favourite Australian Idol clips, be kept up-to-date with the latest Idol news, be able to join the Idol Community to share in the Idol fever and 'Idolise' their mobile handset with ringtones and wallpapers.
Idol LIVE TV is the latest addition to the BigPond mobile entertainment line up which brings Telstra's Next G and 3G customers the greatest range of TV shows, made-for-mobile programs and sports and music videos available on mobile phones in Australia.
The Idol LIVE TV Pack costs $2 a week and gives Telstra mobile customers access to:
- Idol LIVE TV - each episode of Australian Idol 2007 streamed live to your mobile;
- Idol Video on Demand - highlights of artist performances and other exciting content;
- SMS Alerts - including news updates, content updates, Australian Idol reminders and more;
- Idol Insider - exclusive 'behind the scenes' footage streamed live to your mobile five minutes before and after each episode and during the ad breaks of each episode;
- Idol Online Community - join the Australian Idol Online Community on the Australian Idol mSite; and
- Official wallpapers of the final 12 contestants and an Australian Idol themed ringtone.
Content is also available on bigpond.com where fans can:
- Get full downloads of the final 12's performance at every live show up to the Grand Final for your PC and mobile for $1.99;
- Download the official wallpapers of the final 12 contestants for $2.95 each;
- Download all Australian Idol episodes for $2.95;
- Pre-register for the winners single for $1.69 for BigPond members and $1.89 for non-BigPond members; and
- Most BigPond broadband customers can see all the Idol online action unmetered.
For more information: